Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Flashing 12"

I know what I am now! I'm a "Flashing 12"! Nothing like a tutorial to explain things. ( by the way a "flashing 12" is someone who's VCR/DVD etc player is flashing 12.00 as an indication that they haven't or don't know how to set the time on their machines) As for podcasts I found out that they are audio programs that are free of charge but you need to subscribe to them, you can listen to them simply on your computer and you don't require a software program. Hmmm! so why then when I tried to listen to a podcast did it say I needed to install plugins!? I'm confused. But I didn't let that stop me from exploring. I had a look at all the 3 podcast directories mentioned and found Podcast.net the one that gave me more relevant info due to the fact that you can fine tune your search by selecting e.g. keyword and then enter e.g. "library". Podcast.net had 48 entries while PodcastAlley.com had 126 entries of which many where public library entries. Didn't like the Yahoo Podcasts found it too hard to search.
I can see many uses for podcasts in the library - visually impaired patrons to explain library services and to provide material for their use
- training for library staff-SirsiDynix podcasts
- found podcasts for learning languages
- book review podcasts
I really like the idea of having audio as part of the library service where it can be easily accessed from home but again the limiting factor would be bandwidth.( I don't have broadband at home which limits me from accessing anything really fast).

No comments: